Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 15 2016 - 02:07:46 EEST

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:27:08 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-10-14 at 07:46 -0400, jonetsu wrote:

> > > I also don't understand how adding a selection of effects and
> > > default settings is related to communication among the plugins
> > > and the host.

> > Because, as with, if you wish, Pianoteq sounds, the selection does
> > not exist before the action of creating it is being made. It is
> > created on the spot.
> >
> > The selection does not exist.

> What do you try to archive? Pianotrq talking to the host, that it
> should add Fons' EQ, with some settings that fit to Pianoteq?

Pianoteq is only a parallel to demonstrate a principle. The finger
pointing at the moon, or the moon ?

I brought it up as a parallel that it creates sounds, it does not
trigger existing samples (at least as far as I understand it works).
The sounds do not exist until they are created. Likewise, the
'selection of effects' do not exist before it is created.

With all the propension to put forth 'art' as an opposition to machines
controlling expression of musical ideas, one would have thought that
the difference between something that already exists and something that
is about to be created would have been clear. And from this clarity,
move on with the discussion.

It is not.

It is the finger.

> The more useless features you add by gimmicks for the "color by
> numbers" crowd, the more likely are bugs in the software's code.

And now the quality of code. It would be so easy to start shooting
around on this, so easy that I wonder if this is not tongue-in-cheek.

> Assuming Pianoteq should require some general default EQ, then why not
> simply providing sounds that don't require such a default EQ at all?

And so on so forth...

> I guess the "color by numbers" crowd market is huger, than the market
> of serious engineers and artists, however, companies hopefully still
> continue to separate both markets a little bit.

GIMP:

> complete canvas and within one second you get a colored mandala. Get
> a professional designed and colored mandala within a second, you
> can't have more fun in making art, don't waste you time with doing
> anything yourself, while you could watch you tube videos, you at the
> same time could draw one mandala after the other. Have sex in just
> one second, you could watch porn tube videos at the same time, you
> even don't need a partner.

It's really up to the individual, really. Some, it seems, can get
easily influenced to become lazy.

Others do not.

The finger, or the moon.

To go back on track, for people who might be happening to only read
this or a couple of messages before, the subject I brought up for
discussion, was the concept of audio plugins, for mixing purposes, being
able to network together to take decisions concerning a track, a stem,
a master buss. As a related recent example in that direction,
and although not implementing network communications between
plugins, iZotope's Track Assistant/Neutron.