Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2016 - 20:26:53 EEST

After reading all of these messages for a while... and then just deleting
anything with this subject. I will have a quick comment (meaning it has
taken me this long to decide how I feel). My first feeling was I could not
see any use for such a thing... but my final thought is that I don't have
to use it even if it is there anyway.

It was not that long ago that all inputs were analog (even synth). Now, it
is unusual to record an anolog synth, but people still do. There are
people who have made things that are all synth and the analog part of
things is not seen till after production for any part of them... yet there
are still many recording that have only mic inputs (or other anaolg
pickup). There have been for years (from before computers were consumer
affordable) beat boxes and now the computer can generate the whole rythum
section. This technology has even been used on "hit" (whatever that is)
records. (I can think of at least two "top 10" songs without thinking at
all)

The big picture in plugin use is not big name or profesional studio use
but Johnny Two Fingers in his bedroom dreaming of being a rock star before
he goes to college to learn how to cook... or wire houses... or litigate
software users and venders over patents or something. Just the same as the
big use for automatic accompaniment is Grandma playing along with the
oldies in her appartment.

The trick for the plugin vender is to find a name to use their plugin in
at least one project. It is likely also in the future that some genre of
music will come into being that depends on this technology in the same way
that some genres rely on (too much) compression. From there it is likely
to seep into more mainstream use. (maybe not stuff I would be interested
in listening to)

So it seems the answer is that first there is money to be made in the
plugin industry by adding such features even if they are useless in the
studio. In the future people may find themselves using it to get "that
sound" even in the studio...

And if the idea comes from the free software world and somehow manages to
be patent free, at least when a client asks for it, it will be easy to
provide.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net