Re: [LAU] Mixbus 32C (based on Ardour) and Reaper shootout

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 28 2016 - 23:28:50 EEST

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 19:52:34 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 08:18:12AM -0400, jonetsu wrote:
>
> > Criteria: warmth and cohesiveness.
> > Not impressed by separation and loudness, which would be trademarks
> > of a 'transparent' DAW.
>
> Define (in the context of audio quality):

> - warmth

Sounds warm.

> - cohesiveness

The instruments sounds like the belong together.

> - separation

While they belong together, they still maintain their identity. Eg.
not mushy.

> - loudness

Sounds louder.

> - tranparent

Although I removed that one, in DAW terms, it is one that will not
impact in any way the sound that is given to it.

Of course, about the last one, there is a possibility of starting to
compare A/D processing which is necessary and how much you loose by
just doing that. The physical world cannot be sampled perfectly. So
'transparent' is understood with that in mind.