Re: [LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2016 - 17:06:26 EET

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 07:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> Every single notion brought in your text can be matched by u-he,
>> Harrison, discoDSP, Bitwig, all who are makers of commercial
>> products that runs on Linux.

> Hmm, easy to say. Many of the new features in Ardour are there
> because someone who was outside of the development team looked at the
> code and added a feature they wanted... and became an Ardour
> developer :)

It is not easy to say. It is backed up. Go through the threads :

u-he

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

Bitwig

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=259

Renoise/Redux

http://forum.renoise.com/

Harrison

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum/forum-2.html

And then there are the private support emails, about which I have no
complaints.

> Now I may have taken your quote slightly out of context (I am not
> talking security here) but there is a difference between open and
> closed development. Closed development the user decides if the tool
> works for them and uses it or not. With open projects, even if a user
> can't code, if they put their ideas for new features out in public,
> the main developer may not be interested or have time, but some other
> person may.

As you can see from above feedback is also important with closed source
in the context we are concerned with which is Linux music/audio.

u-he even asked people to send them good and bad reverb data (codes) to
help in finding algorithms:

https://www.u-he.com/cms/protoverb

As for the time, it is much of the same with the other guys. Chances
are still slim in Open Source to have someone saying after reading a
post that's a great idea I will implement it. Then there will be
discussions with leads and they might refuse. They might say that's
not good code. They might say we have other plans, It's not as easy
as saying the principle entails.

> Really, a good studio machine should be used only for music and not
> be connected to outside networks anyway. It should not have a pile of
> desktop applications on it. Have another machine for that. Open or
> closed, if the tool works for you, use it. If the idea that all your
> code is open helps you, use it. If you don't care that's fine too.

I agree with this, for a studio. Since it's strictly about work
and not searching the internet for this or that or reading threads about
how to mix, or what good is such a plugin or so. That is done
elsewhere at another time. In a studio, when work and money is
concerned, there is no place for software modifications, though.

--
NP: "Duo Improbabile" - Virginia Guastella e Claudio Trotta
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHw06J44f58