Re: [LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2016 - 21:05:47 EET

Got ya, thanks for clarifying.

Just for the record, most of my works are actually released under CC0. Not
all websites allow that (and not all jurisdictions). So on many websites I
release in some form of CC.

While I do really want for people to release more works that are shareable,
I can also recognize that problematics of proprietary software are pretty
different as opposed to problematics of free cultural works. I apologize
for hinting at a future article, but I do explain my views on it there. I
do plan to complete the article this year.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Massimo Barbieri <massimo@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hey Louigi!
>
> Il 01/11/2016 18:55, Louigi Verona ha scritto:
> > It seems that the only limitation you really care about is money.
>
> No, it's not! The page of my website in which I talk about the
> philosophy of my musical project is called "Free as in freedom".
> I do care about freedom.
>
> http://johnoption.org/?page_id=9
>
> > 1. This has little to do with free and proprietary software. Proprietary
> > software
> > can be free (and huge amounts of it is). Open Source could be paid
> > (it rarely is).
>
> Right!
>
> > 2. Money is not the only limitation possible in life. GPL is a very
> strict,
> > non-permissive license. The only license that is truly fully permissive
> > is CC0. If you are using a CC Attribution Share Alike, you are forcing
> > me to share my product as well.
>
> Forcing you to share your product as well is what I want to do!
>
> > This is a limitation and I frequently decide not to use someone's work
> > because they say it should not be used in a commercial product. If I
> > want to sell my music at Bandcamp, I cannot use this work.
>
> I feel that if I use free software, free music, free culture etc... I
> should give back something.
>
> > I think it is your right to license your products however you want, but
> > you cannot claim that there are no limitations simply because you are
> > not asking for money.
>
> I agree.
>
> Ciao,
> Max