[LAU] RT kernel

From: Yassin Philip <philcm@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2016 - 10:51:47 EET

Hello, two quick questions:

  * Is there someone here using Ubuntu (16.04 LTS) with a hard RT
    PREEMPT kernel?
  * Can he tell me how to obtain it? Probably not pre-built from a
    repository/ppa, I've done my homework and found two that seem
    nothing but dead :
      o https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+ppa-packages
      o https://launchpad.net/~linux-libre/+archive/ubuntu/rt-ppa

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to build it. Never done it. I've compiled
all sort of stuff, but never a kernel. Now what would be the easiest
way? By easy, in fact, I only mean scriptable. Ideally something like

  * Get the latest kernel sources package with apt
  * Fetch the corresponding patch (this is the hard part for me, I'm a
    bit lost in versions)
  * Apply the patch, build the kernel and install it

The idea being to be able to repeat the procedure when a new kernel is
out in the lifespan of my Ubuntu version, to stay up to date.

Any pointers? Thanks for your patience. Note that if I manage to get a
fairly repeatable procedure, I'll write a tutorial about it. Cordialement,

yPhil

--
Yassin Philip
http://yassinphilip.bitbucket.org