Re: [LAU] RT kernel

From: Yassin Philip <philcm@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2016 - 13:44:47 EET

On 04/11/2016 11:11, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 10:35:12 +0000, Yassin Philip wrote:
>> Is there really no way to just (de)select the options you need,
>> programmatically?
> There isn't, but assuming you already have a config of a generic
> or lowlatency kernel with exactly the same version, you want to build
> with the rt patch and if you exactly know what are the current rt
> related options, you e.g. could use the sed command to edit the config
> by a script. There are still pitfall. Regarding some even non-rt related
> options, e.g. CONFIG_HZ_1000, it's disputable what to use or not to use.
> Depending on the rt patched kernel you want to build, it might make a
> difference, if you are using an AMD or Intel CPU, what options to use.
> There several times were serious issues with AMD CPUs, that required
> dedicated configurations. There is a reason why distros usually don't
> provide realtime kernels by official repositories. It's a kernel that
> requires fine tuning, it's not a kernel off the rack.
Wow... And I'm not even sure that it's worth :/ I guess I'll stick to my
"sudo apt install linux-lowlatency" nobrainer. One has to admit it's
easier, it even puts itself as default in grub, and stays up-to-date :|
By the way, does the rtirq-init IRQ balancing script work with this kind
of kernel? It seems to launch OK, but given its description "startup
script for realtime-preempt enabled kernels" does it do anything good on
a lowlatency system?

Does anybody here use lowlatency kernels, and do they come with special
usage tips and recommendations? Thanks a lot anyway, Ralf;

Phil

Yassin Philip - New album out NOW
http://yassinphilip.bitbucket.org