Re: [LAU] everything stops after 2.1GB

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2016 - 08:28:55 EET

Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> I don't think so. Jeanette had the same problem when using jack_rec,
> and I can't think of any reason why jack_capture should behave
> differently when running on a 32 bit OS. It's far more likely to be
> caused by the filesystem, or something else. I've cc-ed
> Erik de Castro Lopo, the author of libsndfile. He probably
> knows more about what could cause max file sizes of 2.1GB.

I didn't manage to get to the bottom of which piece of software
was causing the problem.

From the POV of libsndfile, it has had Large File Support (which
makes file offsets 64 bit signed values) on 32 bit systems for over
a decade.

However, it is possible for other software using libsndfile incorrectly
(ie using a 32 bit integer to store file offsets) to cause this sort
of a problem, but then I would expect it to go wrong on 64 bit systems
because `int` is 32 bits there too. However on 32 bit Linux systems,
`long` whereas it us 64 bits on 64 bit Linux systems.

Erik