Re: [LAU] Music: an audio collage

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2016 - 18:33:29 EET

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 16:41:21 +0100
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. The way I view ambient music is being able to invoke very
> long-term emotions, long-term state of mind through such music.
>
> I have an article written about it, get it here:
> http://www.louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=music&t=radiogram

Interesting article.

   "... as we are used to not only expect change, but consider
   change to be a generally good thing, so one of the usual
   comments a sound composer of static music receives is that it
   is "boring" ..."

There might be a sensitivity involved. Because things always change.
In standing still (zhan zhuang (站桩)) one can see that things are
constantly changing. Then what is this boredom ? It might be
associated with a dependence on rough external events which in turn
would mean a lack of perception about a larger picture. Like looking
at a tree and not seeing the forest. Or focusing on an oncoming fist
instead of the person behind it.

A 'middle term' between rhythms and ambient, reflecting the pulse of
life could be nice although I do not know at the moment what form it
would take.

May I suggest an interesting philosophical book that addresses the
'present moment' while looking at how our thinking was shaped by Greek
philosophy, doing so in the light of Chinese philosophy. Translated in
English earlier this year, "The Philosophy of Living" by prof. François
Jullien identifies why we think the way we do.