Re: [LAU] [SOLVED] Crackles in audio, drifting intermittent noise etc.

From: David Jones <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 01 2016 - 04:12:30 EET

On Nov 30, 2016 15:01, Len Ovens <len@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> >> His 4 core i5 doesn't have ht... (according to the intel web site)
> >
> > My i7 doesn't have the problem, either. Makes me wonder if OP's i5 chip
> > or one of the supporting chips on the motherboard has a defect?
>
> Or an engineering mistake, low latency and PCI performance is not exactly
> top priority in todays computer world.
>
> I have an i5 (4 core no ht) and a D66, which is the same ice1712 to the
> PCI bus as the OP. No problems. I have an azus MB which I chose for
> maximum number of PCI slots (3) so I had as much choice of slot as I could
> get. I chose minimum on board bells and whistles because those are just
> more to get in the way of my audio. Intel video (on chip) and even ps2
> mouse and keyboard. (I have an old mechanical KB that has a switch for "at
> or xt" to show how old it is). While I don't use a USB Audio Interface, I
> don't like USB mice if I can avoid them... I have found USB interrupts
> troublesome in the past. The only USB device I have is a scanner which is
> turned off when not used, plus the odd USB mem stick and a second keyboard
> I use with midikb as a controller sometimes for testing. Audio is not plug
> and play really on a PC (win or linux) if you want low latency it needs
> exrta work. Linux at least gives one the tools to do that.

Agreed. Pro audio work (Win or Linux - don't now about MacOS) is such a tiny fraction of total PC use, so I don't think PC makers consider it at all. Even a friend who pursued a music career using Windows systems set up and supplied by experts at Sweetwater never got reliable RT audio performance. (He's now considering a Mac and Pro Tools.)

David W. Jones
gnome@hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com