Re: [LAU] Music Made with Linux: Rated Blue-Turnabout Album

From: <info@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 15 2016 - 04:13:39 EET

Hi Jeanette, Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment, in these busy times such a kindness is appreciated :) In the case of the drums I completely understand 'that sound' is not everyone's cup of tea, the kit itself has very large shells (it features the shell sizes of John Bonham's kit of Led Zeppelin). How it sounds on the album is very representative of how it sounds in a room, the 26" kick is big and boomy and the toms sound massive, that's what we love about it and although we weren't going out of our way to copy the Led Zeppelin sound that's just what a kit like that sounds like to a degree. So in this case it was intentional and although I continue to second guess myself to death on other things (mostly the vocals) I will say we are probably proudest of the drum sounds. But I truly value your comments and point of view, constructive critiques only make things better :) Take care, Glen ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeanette C." <julien@email-addr-hidden> To:<info@email-addr-hidden> Cc:"Linux Audio User" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden> Sent:Thu, 15 Dec 2016 01:15:40 +0100 (CET) Subject:Re: [LAU] Music Made with Linux: Rated Blue-Turnabout Album Dec 15 2016, info@email-addr-hidden has written: ... > *ALBUM Link: https://soundcloud.com/rated-blue/sets/turnabout Hi Glenn and band, thank you for sharing your work, especially before the release. It was an honour to listen. :) Honestly, very good recordings. The performance is so tight and spot on! Together with the effects on guitars, bass and vocals this makes a fantastic experience. Before I go on giving your work what its due - namely praise - allow me some criticism of the other kind. Namely the drums: well played, I'm sure well recorded as well, but they mostly don't fit in the mix as homogenously as the rest of the instruments. If that was the intention, then you succeeded. If I had to give reasons for this opinion I'd say, that the snare always sounds a little too roomy and to mono and in the middle, while the guitars and the background vocals can be so distributed in the stereo panorama. The kick sounds too boomy. That might be due to some EQ'ing, but I think my ears take more offense at the compressor and the reverb. Compared to the rather acoustic and organic feeling rest of the mix, the kick's transient sounds so harsh and unnatural. Again in context of the whole mix, the kick is too roomy for my ears. The other instruments have such a close or at least vintage feel, that this doesn't somehow sit. Yes, that's mostly habit. And that may be a very personal thing. :( To end on a positive note, which the album really deserves, the background vocals - especially in STraight Up - sounded just sublime! Really thank you for sharing this with us up front, it was a treat. As much as the songs do form a unity, they are diverse enough to captivate the attention to the last note. If you think it's worth anything to all the band members, give them my regards and my regards. Best wishes, Jeanette -------- When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Received on Thu Dec 15 04:15:01 2016

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Thu Dec 15 2016 - 04:15:02 EET