[LAU] PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Dec 20 2016 - 03:18:11 EET

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 13:50:56 -0200, Iain Mott off-list wrote: "Sound
quality?" and a lot of other questions.

Hi list, hi Iain,

most likely I'll test a PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL within the next days.
I already compared it's phones output with the phones output of a RME
HDSPe AIO. A while ago I had bad luck, there was too loud computer
noise audible by the apart from this good phones output, but at
the moment there's no computer noise anymore. One reason for me to
switch to USB, is to separate the audio interface from the computer.
However, the sound quality of the AIO's phones output is better, than
the phones output of the PreSonus. Strange, since old home recording
gear and old HiFi equipment provide usable phones outputs, but nowadays
phones outputs of home recording equipment seem to be unusable. My
Behringer mixer's phones output is disgusting, too, but the other IOs
of the mixer are ok, maybe it's the same for the PreSonus. Actually I
want ADAT IOs and a usable head phones output. I don't care much about
the other IOs, so this already could be the showstopper for me.

USB is tricky. First the PreSonus didn't work with Linux and also not
with Windows XP, then I found an USB port that at least allows to use
the PreSonus with XP, an OS just installed for tests. I hope I
understand how to use alsamixer with this card, a brief test wasn't
promising.

To be continued...

Regards,
Ralf