Re: [LAU] Linux audio on Intel NUC

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2016 - 18:30:37 EET

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Iain Mott wrote:

> I'm researching a project that requires a light-weight computer and I'm
> considering using something like an Intel NUC NUC5i7RYH with a low cost
> stereo audio interface such as a Behringer UCA222.
>
> Will there be any issues running linux audio on NUCs such as this one?

Looking at Intels page:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html
I am imediately insulted by intels claim:
"The Intel NUC Mini PC re-imagines the desktop PC into a pint-sized
package..." As someone else has already said this is based on laptop
technology, not desktop technology. After looking closer I would say not
even that. The NUC6PGYH may be the better box for low latency audio
depending on the software being used (sw that can use all 4 cores may do
better... sw that does everything on one core not so much)

As with Intel laptops these are the downsides in my opinion:
  - nothing better than an i3 (laptop i5/7 are just faster i3)
  - USB ports are less than optimal and you can't add another
  - no CPU swapping (replacing a dual core i7 with a quad i5 if an upgrade)
  - two or three boxes for audio instead of one (external PS, external
         audio, plus box) may a slim server box with everything inside
         would be smaller.

have you looked at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/423153472/bela-an-embedded-platform-for-low-latency-interact

There are also 4 core atom boards (from intel yet) that seem better.

Anyway, I think there are better solutions out there. I have looked at the
NUC a few times and been dissapointed every time by the price for value...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net