Re: [LAU] Powered USB hub

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Dec 25 2016 - 21:08:20 EET

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 08:17:35 -1000, David Jones wrote:
>I have a UCA202 and a powered USB hub. Connecting the 202 to the hub
>gives me a noticeable power hum that doesn't happen when connected
>directly to my laptop or to the hub without the hub PS connected.
>
>It's a cheap hub - but something to be aware of.

Thank you,

at least for ADAT usage this shouldn't matter.

Actually the cause that an iPad can't connect to the PreSonus by USB,
seems to be an USB current limit controlled by software [1]. A
workaround already should be, to connect an unpowered USB hub. To cause
less load for the battery, I will order a powered USB hub.

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 19:37:18 +0100, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>Am 25.12.2016 um 19:17 schrieb David Jones:
>> Connecting the 202 to the hub gives me a noticeable power hum
>
>You could always use DI boxes with a ground lift between the audio
>output and your monitors or mixing desk.

Or we chose our equipment for computer usage by keeping common computer
audio issues in mind. One workaround would be S/PDIF by lightpipe or my
choice ADAT. I don't want to mount audio cards inside the computer
anymore, but I want to connect the ADCs and DACs completely
galvanic isolated to the computer. When using ADAT with BNC WC it's not
really completely galvanic isolated anymore, but ADAT works without WC,
too.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]