Re: [LAU] Fwd: Default (instrument plugins) tuning frequency

From: Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 02 2017 - 18:38:12 EET

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:11:02 -0500
> Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Jeanette C. <julien@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Jan 2 2017, Yassin Philip has written:

> > > The default or standard tuning for typical western musical instruments
> > > is at 440Hz. There are variations, when it comes to concert pitch. I
> > > believe that the Americans sometimes choose 441 or 442Hz. But every
> > > hardware synth - that I know of - is tuned to 440Hz with a
> well-tempered
> > > scale.
> > >

> > Equal tempered. I've never seen a software synth or modern tuner that
> uses
> > one of the well tempered systems.
>
> Yoshi/Zyn has always had full microtonal capability. You can have whatever
> reference frequency, scale and notes per octave you like.

Sure. Pretty much anything CAN be made to produce whatever pitch you want.

I think you are still safe to assume that the standard is 12TET A440.

Unless you are in the business of tuning organs or play in a period music
ensemble or something I don't think you are going to encounter one of the
well tempered tunings. I never have anyway.