Re: [LAU] Sound quality of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2017 - 18:39:19 EET

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 12:49:41 +0100, Georg Krause wrote:
>I own a Scarlett 18i6, which is a little bit older (3 Generations older
>than the device you are talking about) and i think the outputs are
>quite good.

I've got the impression that my hearing isn't that good today.
However, the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen, as well as the Behringer
ADA8000 directly connected to my amplifier, even today, definitively,
without doubts, sound disgusting compared to the RME HDSPe AIO, but I
can't hear anymore a considerable difference between the Focusrite and
the ADA8000 connected to the Focusrite. OTOH the test was not really
neutral, since the RME's outputs had much more gain, which likely
affect the amps inputs. OTOH, if I connect all of them to my Behringer
mixing console, then even the audible difference to the RME is marginal
for me at the moment, if audible at all and part from this there's no
mixer to control the Focusrite's analog and ADAT outputs and since the
source was the same for the RME, as well as the Focusrite, I would need
to lower the output levels for the RME, but actually the chosen levels
were "normal"/"optimal".

The hifi CD-Player doesn't sound as good as the RME, but while the
colouration of the Focusrite and the ADA8000 are similar, the CD-Player
has got it's own colouration, maybe a little bit closer to the RME, but
with too much muddy bass. To compare my own recordings with CDs from
bands, I should rip the CDs in the future and listen to the RME card
only. The Focusrite and the ADA8000 are missing nuances by all
frequencies, the bass is muddy too, but for the Focusrite it seems to
be not that much boosted, as I claimed before.

All tests were done with an AKG 240 DF headphone. I just listened very
short to two different kinds of speakers, but couldn't form an opinion.

I need to do a third test in some days. At the moment I'll test use the
Focusrite without comparing the sound quality. After that I shouldn't
listen to sound for at least one day and compare different songs with
similar output gain connected to the amp's inputs. IMO it's not only
important to care about the volume of the headphone and speaker
outputs of the amp, but also what goes into the amp.

Btw. the only available control by alsamixer is "Clock Source".

┌────────────────────────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.1.3 ───────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: Scarlett 18i20 USB F1: Help │
│ Chip: USB Mixer F2: System information │
│ Item: Clock Source [Internal] Esc: Exit │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ ┌──┐ Internal ┌──┐ ┌──┐ │
│ │OO│ │OO│ │OO│ │
│ ADAT Validity < Clock Source >Internal Validity S/PDIF Validity │