Re: [LAU] Sound quality of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen

From: Johannes Kroll <j-kroll@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2017 - 22:25:35 EET

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 21:01:45 +0100
Georg Krause <mail@email-addr-hidden-krause.net> wrote:

> Am 08.01.2017 um 20:53 schrieb Robin Gareus:
> >> Missing alsamixer controls aren't a problem for me.
> > ..except that the default routing inside the device may affect what
> > you're hearing. OOTB it patches analog inputs through to the outputs

...which would mean that you if you listen to an input, you mix it with
a copy of itself delayed by the buffer size. That would definately
sound weird, and could explain Ralf's experience.

> Not just that, my focusrite sounds crappy when the outputs are "too
> loud" in alsamixer. means over 80% its not usable. so maybe that is an
> issue, Ralf?

That's definately an issue with my 18i8 first-gen as well. When I set
an output control to more than 0db, the output doesn't clip -- it
integer-wraps, which causes really evil distortion. I confirmed that
with an oscilloscope. I'm not sure whether this is a Linux driver
issue, or bad design. It shouldn't be possible to turn volume up beyond
the 0db setting if that causes such distortion.