Re: [LAU] balanced <--> unbalanced

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2017 - 17:54:24 EET

Hi Chris,

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 08:33:04 -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
>There are multiple circuits commonly used for symmetrical outputs, some
>need the "-" signal left unconnected, some need the "-" signal
>connected to the circuit ground, but the optimal location could be at
>the receive end, or could be directly at the output connector.
                  of the cable output, not the device output?!

I don't have time to test it now [1], but soon or later I'll compare

Tip-Ring-Sleeve jack with Ring unconnected to TS jack or cinch jack.
Tip-Ring-Sleeve jack with Ring connected to TS jack or cinch jack and
with - signal and ground short circuit at the TS jack or cinch jack end.

However, likely connecting Ring with Sleeve by plugging in a TS jack
into the Tip-Ring-Sleeve output socket, IOW short circuit at the
output device is an issue.

I'm sceptic that it makes a difference to connect the - signal with
ground at the receiving device.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
I've got all required jacks, but only 2 meter headphone cable, no other
cable and I don't want to unsolder jacks from balanced cables I'm
using. I've got TRS socket to TS jack adapters, but unfortunately those
short circuit T with R and not R with S. I don't know what those
adapters are good for. Perhaps for usage on both ends of a balanced
cable, to make it an unbalanced cable by using both wires instead of
just one wire or for converting a stereo signal to mono, by assuming
that all gear usually is short-circuit-proof.