Re: [LAU] Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 16 2017 - 01:20:35 EET

On 01/15/2017 11:43 PM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On söndag 15 januari 2017 kl. 14:00:40 CET info@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just passing along this screencast of the new AVL Drumkits LV2 plugin
>> in Ardour 5.5 created by Robin Gareus:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/4idMZTxTaY8 [1]
>>
>> More info here: http://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums [2]
>
> This is huge news and the beginning of something very needed in the Linux
> community, I will check it out tomorrow!
>

> However, I have some toughs about it when looking at the key map:
>
> You should really have dimensions (or zones as many also calls it) that can be
> used on any wanted item, for example the the HH. That means the same note for
> hitting the edge of the HH and use a controller, such as modulation wheel,
> expression pedal or the HH pedal in a MIDI drumset for controlling the HH
> openess.

The underlying tech here is quite basic. It's a dumb sample player, it
does not stop an open HH hit when you trigger a closed hit or pedal. I'm
sorry to disappoint you.

and, no: A cross-fade or ADSR linked to a MIDI-CC does not cut it; at
least not with the fixed small sample-set.

The goal here is to cover 90% of the common cases and make it easy.

We had this discussion on and found that the bottleneck is actually
sequencing itself: Knowing what a real drummer would play and not
construct conflicting hits involving 4 hands and 3 feet. Adding more
elaborate kit controls don't help on that matter.

Personally I think if you want nuances on HIHat and Snare there's no way
around recording a real drum-kit. MIDI just doesn't cut it, even with
commercial tools such as AD2 or EZdrummer.

For kick, toms and overhead, MIDI can be fine. Even in some cases
better: Properly mic'ing a bass-drum is hard!

Anyway, avldrums is just a little brother of drumgizmo, trading
complexity for convenience and keeping DG on his toes :)

ciao,
robin