Re: [LAU] using Jack an interface to ecasound

From: Bill Purvis <bill@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 19 2017 - 19:15:58 EET

On 19/01/17 03:10, john gibby wrote:
> I'm making progress. I believe I actually have jack2, with "legacy
> server jackd" included along with it. I have successfully used the
> jack2 admin commands to start/stop and configure jack, to 128 samples,
> n=3, my alsa device, etc. I tried to set priority to 20 but since I
> can't remember my admin password, no go on that. Pianoteq finally
> sees 128 buffer size instead of 1024, and I can hear my piano on one
> of my speakers. Maybe if I could set the priority down to 20, I could
> use 64 sample buffer. I see 8 playback channels in qjackctl, which I
> think is correct for my ALC1150 device. I still have some problems but
> am a ways down the road now... Thanks!
>
> But, I'm still a little unclear on what order to start things up in.
> For now, I'm only worried about jack2, qjackctl and pianoteq; ecasound
> will come later. If I don't start things up in the right order, it
> seems, I cannot use qjackctl to make the connections (it ignores my
> clicks). Suppose I set up a patchbay profile (once I manage to get
> the connections made again). Is this the right order to quickly bring
> it all back up later:
>
> 1. run the commands that start jackdbus
> 2. start pianoteq
> 3. bring up qjackctl (will my saved profile then be activated,
> connecting pianoteq to jack according to the profile connections?)
>
> Thanks again,
> John
Hi John,
I have had still to fathom out how to get things just the way I want
them automatically.
After booting up, I start QjackCtl which seems to start Jackdbus quite
happily. I then
start and stop various things, and then configure the connections with
QjackCtl.

I had some problems when I plugged in a keyboard, as it didn't appear to
Jack, but then
I was advised to run a2j (alsa-to-jack) which makes a connection between
the keyboard and
Jack, then I can connect that to my sequencer program (home-grown.)

This list is a great asset for us. Lots of knowledgeable folks around
who are willing
to offer advice. Thanks folks!!

Bill