Re: [LAU] using Jack an interface to ecasound

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Jan 21 2017 - 21:43:16 EET

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:29:29 +1100, Roger wrote:
>I'm pretty sure you could patch jack in an Arch based distro if you
>wished to.

Hi,

nothing would be easier than doing this, since Arch comes with a
FreeBSD alike build system, fortunately it would allow to easily change
the name to something like "jack1-dbus", too ;). My point is, that users
get confused, if distros patch software in very unusual ways, by still
using the common package names and even more bad is, that we try to
help each other, but we waste a lot of time with being confused. So no,
you unlikely will find such unthoughtful packaging by an Arch Linux
repository. Regarding this jack1 example you even will not run into
this issue, when using official Debian or Ubuntu repositories, it's
just another "special" distro problem. IMO those distros gain nothing,
they only cause problems for users.

Regards,
Ralf