Re: [LAU] Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 29 2017 - 11:22:37 EET

Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>> On 01/28/2017 12:39 AM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 09:45:27AM +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
>>> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>>
>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a synonym for "Proprietary"?
>
> From the manual:
> "This mode utilizes the A-500S’s special, advanced MIDI driver.

Please note that this is about the _driver_. The switch just makes
the device report itself as "proprietary" so that the standard Windows
driver does not attach to it; the actual protocol is the same.

> This advanced driver uses *FPT technology for rapid, high-performance
> MIDI transmissions."

"FPT" is marketing-speak for "the driver can send more than one MIDI
event in one USB packet, and can pipeline multiple USB packets". This
is just what any proper USB driver should do (and what the Windows XP
driver did not; I've heard they've rewritten it in Windows 10 or so).

> However, I would also point out that the speed was limited to real
> MIDI speeds

USB MIDI can be as fast as the driver and the device can send and accept
packets. The microcontroller in my SC-8820 can eat up MIDI data at
about three times the normal MIDI speed, but when there is a real MIDI
port involved, it is not possible to go faster.

Regards,
Clemens