Re: [LAU] Artiphon

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2017 - 16:34:52 EET

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Bill Purvis wrote:

> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>
> http://artiphon.com.
>
> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
> on Linux.
>
> Any opinions?

It is both midi and audio device, but does seem to be able to work out of
the box with macos according to this page:
http://artiphon.com/quickstart-for-mac-pc/
and this page:
http://artiphon.com/technical-specifications/
which has the magic words "USB 1.0 Audio Class Compliant" and "USB MIDI
Class Compliant" it also says "USB 2.0" meaning there is some extra
functionallity Linux may not be able to see/use.
However, "The Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 Editor" would not be available for
Linux. So setting different tuning (5ths, 4ths and it looks like range)
may not be possible. Even settings like multichannel or single seems to
assume an editor is used.

Assuming it holds it's settings without power or you don't let the battery
die, it may be possible to set it up in a generic enough fashion that a
good midi filter may be able to give almost complete control. See:
http://artiphon.com/instrument-1-midi-mapping/

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net