Re: [LAU] AMD Ryzen

From: David Jones <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2017 - 04:46:48 EET

On Mar 2, 2017 11:29, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> This is now out in the wild, and I've seen the first review running under
> Windows. It seems to be coming out fairly well, but apparently not quite as
> good as comparable Intel processors when running with small buffer sizes.
>
> I wasn't entirely clear as to whether that was a specific issue for the way
> Windows manages buffers, or not.
>
> Has anyone had an opportunity to try one under Linux? I'm thinking ov getting a
> replacement machine sometime this year as my current DAW is about 8 years old
> and starting to do odd things :(

From the review I read, Ryzen seems to give just about the same or better performance as corresponding Intel CPUs (8 core<>8 core, etc). At about half the cost of the Intel chip.

I've run AMD and Intel chips. I think for audio work they're about the same. If I have to replace my present AMD machine, I'd go for a Ryzen. Gotta get a new motherboard either way and don't have the Intel $$$ in the budget right now.

David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com