Re: [LAU] Ground loop noise problem using MSI H-97 Gaming 3 motherboard, SeaSonic SSR‑360GP 360W power supply.

From: Bill Purvis <bill@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2017 - 12:52:24 EET

On 06/03/17 10:11, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 09:58:41 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
>> You must have 1 connection to the ground, and all the equipments must
>> be connected to it.
>>
>> Instead of following you wiring hints, the OP should follow my hint
>> to connect the computer and amp to the same main socket by a multiple
>> socket, ensuring that the main cables and audio cables are 100% ok.
Not strictly Linux Audio: I've had problems with ground loops in our
church PA system.
We have a mixture of speakers, two powered Mackies, which use XLR cables
direct from
the mixer (Soundcraft Ui16), and four passive speakers which are driven
by a cheap
100+100W amp. The latter has a nasty cooling fan which makes enough
noise to be distracting
so we put it in an adjacent room, and fed both channels via a single
unbalanced audio cable.
That amp is powered by from a mains socket in the adjacent room and we
had very significant
mains hum with it until I interposed an audio transformer. Thus no
direct ground connection
between the amp and the rest of the kit.

Bill