Re: [LAU] Ardour's Mixer fader for MIDI tracks

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2017 - 18:16:31 EET

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:52:56 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> what exactly does the fader of Ardour's mixer for MIDI tracks
>> control?
>
>It depends on where the fader is placed (or where the synth is placed).

Thank you,

this answers my question and is exactly what I suspected.

At the moment it's just

Linux PC Ardour MIDI tracks -> RME HDSPe AIO MIDI out -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 MIDI in -> iPad Sample Tank

but DX7, Matrix-1000 and other should be used, too. IOW the faders
only deal with MIDI streams.

>If the fader has only a midi stream to deal with, it controls
>velocity. The values shown are (looking at latest git) 0 to 2. This is
>gain. with the fader centred at 1 velocity in = velocity out. if the
>fader is at 1.5 then velocity out will be velocity in * 1.5. (eg 64 in
>* 1.5 is 96 out).

For a mixer that's very unusual since velocity not simply affects the
volume. So CC 7 and CC 10 are only available by the editor window? It's
not possible to get this for the mixer window?

FWIW CC 10 fader values >= 63 are displayed, but < 63 the values aren't
displayed. Is this a known bug for ardour 5.8?

Is there a setting to ensure that loop play for MIDI tracks works
unbroken? At the moment the cycle isn't played smooth.

Regards,
Ralf