Re: [LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Mar 30 2017 - 17:23:03 EEST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:52:38 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>Almost all soundcards allow this, otherwise use a simple analog mixer
>for monitoring.

Exactly!

Hardware mixers are an issue for class compliant USB audio interfaces.
However, if I need monitoring, I'm using an analog mixer or totalmix of
my PCIe card.

If somebody is using an onboard audio device and doesn't own an analog
mixer, the Wiki for "professional audio" should explain that this isn't
gear for professional usage.

>High latency will be a problem if the new track is a software
>instrument.

Exactly!

Sometimes even 10 ms could be annoying, but 10 ms are still ok.

IMO the Wiki should describe a middle way. Onbaord audio isn't for
pro-audio, but perfect machines that allow latencies between 1 and 5 ms
require very good gear, unlikely changing values for swap usage will
change this.

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Michael" described Floyd as "an idiot savant", and added, "Give him
any two numbers, and he can multiply them in his head, just like that."