Re: [LAU] Latency issues (Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 18:34:07 EEST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:00:56 +0200, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>For me, disturbing starts at a frame rate of 256/2 which means round
>about 10ms. That is the point were it seems that my brain starts to
>lock ahead. With a setting of 128/2 (5ms) I've no problems at all. I'm
>not sure, if I'm able to notice lower latency at all.

This are more or less the values for everybody of us. If you play a
drum sampler with a delay of 5 ms it's no problem. If you play it with
10 ms it's also no problem, but it's annoying, less fun, because
something is fishy.

However, if you have two equal mono recordings and one is a little bit
off, you notice phasing. Ok, this is physic, not the work of the brain,
but it becomes the work of the brain when using headphones and each
channel is on one ear. You notice that the signal becomes stereo. And a
few ms are already enough to not just get phasing, but already an early
reflection like effect, you clearly notice the time difference, far
below 5ms.