Re: [LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 23:02:42 EEST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 21:26:43 +0200 (CEST), karl@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>Why then don't you just state, for the benefit of the curious pro,
>that to test if CONFIG_HZ matter, just do something like the above.

Because the Wiki should provide useful information to set up a
professional audio computer and not test cases for all kinds of
situations, available methods of measurements etc.. "Professional" is
for being able to set up a system with working settings and not to
waste time by trail and error and measurements. Btw. I added the latency
test to the MIDI chapter, so users could test their MIDI interfaces,
_just in case they should notice something fishy_ without measurements.
As long as nothing is noticeable, there's no need to measure and
optimise.

Another and last example, likely most, if not all major distros by
default mount with "relatime" [1]. SATA3 is wide spread, even SSDs are
wide spread. I'm used to mount music partitions with "noatime", but I
doubt that this is really required. Since you never know, I would
mention "noatime" by the Wiki, as it's already done, but OTOH I wouldn't
mention to touch all possible settings, that theoretically could have
impact, they all might come with side effects, as "noatime" does, too.

  [rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ man mount | grep "Update inode" -B1 -A3
         relatime
                Update inode access times relative to modify or change
  time. Access time is only updated if the previous access time was
  earlier than the current modify or change time. (Similar to noatime,
  but it doesn't break mutt or other applications that need to know if a
  file has been read since the last time it was modified.)

Btw. if your HDDs should be the bottleneck, at least Ardour informs you
about this. The only time I experienced this, was with a HDD that
reached end of life.

However, since I do not continue updating the Wiki, consider to provide
your opinions to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Professional_audio .
Maybe somebody else will update the Wiki.

And don't worry, if the maintainer has time to continue maintaining the
official Ardour Arch package, I revert the link from "AUR" to "Extra".
With "not updating the Wiki", I'm only saying that I don't remove all
the clutter, but I still have an eye on it.

Regards,
Ralf