Re: [LAU] Linux Audio: An overview

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 03 2017 - 21:45:31 EEST

You cannot compare "overview" and "opinion". Doing so would be committing
an error of category <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake>. An
"overview" describes the scope of the article subject. An "opinion"
describes the claim to applicability.

For example, if I would have focused on just one aspect of Linux Audio,
say, DAWs, then this would not be an overview of the platform. But the
scope of the article is to look at the most important elements of the
platform as a whole. Therefore, it is an overview.

If I would have spent enormous amount of time interviewing people in the
Linux Audio community, gathered statistics and presented a conclusion based
on a very objective, well-balanced process of evaluating data, then this
overview would be more than my opinion, it would be more like research, not
just opinion.

But in this case I give my perspective. I did not interview other people, I
gave an overview based on my own experience. In other words, I am not
claiming that this would be true for everyone. I would claim that this
would be more or less true for people with the outlook and needs similar to
mine.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de> wrote:

> Am 03.04.2017 um 19:13 schrieb Louigi Verona:
>
>> Hermann, it is both. Overview and opinion are not antipodes :)
>>

> Ups, so go on, . . .
>
> Thanks for your answer, . .
>
> Overview < Opinion == ??
>
> bye
>

> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de <mailto:
>> brummer-@web.de>> wrote:
>>

>> Am 03.04.2017 <tel:03.04.2017> um 09:05 schrieb Louigi Verona:
>>
>> Hey everyone!
>>
>> A while back I wrote an article, an overview of Linux Audio.
>> Posting it here, just in case people will find it of interest.
>> Do read the disclaimer, *this article is but my personal
>> opinion ;)
>> *
>>

>> Linux Audio: An overview
>> <https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&
>> a=linux_linuxaudio
>> <https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&
>> a=linux_linuxaudio>>
>>

>> So what is it, a overview, or, a opinion?
>> Smells like political polemic to me :-(
>>
>> Note, I haven't read your article, it's just your announcement
>> which makes me stumbled.

>> --
>> Louigi Verona
>> https://louigiverona.com/