Re: [LAU] Question About jack transport

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 07 2017 - 16:59:36 EEST

john gibby <johnalan.gibby@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> I have Pianoteq connected to Jack, then to ecasound for dsp into 6
> channels, then back thru Jack to rme9652. 64 sample buffers. Should I run
> ecasound in slave transport mode to make sure the pipeline runs
> efficiently, with Pianoteq supplying a new sample set in lock-step while
> the previous one is being processed by ecasound? The details about how all
> this is getting done are fascinating, but a little murky in my head...

Jack transport doesn't have anything to do with audio. You'll know if
you're audio isn't getting through Jack ok because the symptom of that
will be xruns. Basically, if you're not getting xruns, everything made
it through just fine.

Jack transport is kind of like Midi clock, but for situations where the
sequencers involved are all Linux apps with Jack support. In a case
like that, why bother actually sending the traditional 96 tick per
quarter note Midi clock stream through virtual Midi connections on your
computer when all the apps involved can just sync through Jack? If all
your sequencers know Jack, then you don't need Midi clock to sync them.

So, if you're not trying to sync Jack-aware sequencers on your computer,
then you don't need Jack transport for anything at all.

--
		+	With the rise of social networking