Re: [LAU] OT: Monitor setups

From: Maurizio Berti <maurizio.berti@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 04 2017 - 01:08:18 EEST

I used to have 3 displays, the center one is a 16:10 display (1440x900),
while the laterals were 5:4 (1280x1024).
For normal usage I used the right one (which was slightly bigger than the
left one) for web navigation, the center for other programs,
video/streaming, and programming IDEs, the left for system audio mixer
(jack_mixer, I always have jack running), shells and system monitoring; for
audio I used the central display for the Ardour main track window, the left
for the mixer strip/qjackctl/qsampler/plugin GUIs, with jack connections in
the background with Patchage, while the right one was for other programs
(music notation or sequencing, Hydrogen, Renoise, scripting, etc).
Some months ago the right display broke down and, while I think I'll
replace it someday, the setup remained pretty similar, with programs that
usually run on the right splitted between central and left, according to
the size needed. I started using virtual desktops much more than in the
past (I use fluxbox with 4 virtual desktops), so the second desktop is
usually dedicated to music players, social networks and chat apps, with the
third and fourth used as "backup" spaces when I need to access to a program
easily without activating it from the taskbar, for example when using
virtualization softwares (I configured the shortcut Win key+mousewheel to
cycle between virtual desktops).

> I suppose I'll go ahead and describe my setup...
>
> I'm running a WindowMaker desktop with two monitors. One is very tall
> and setup as a portrait mode monitor, and the other to the right of it
> is smaller but landscape mode. When I'm running Ardour, the editor and
> mixer window pretty much cover 100% of the tall portrait mode screen, so
> I have the other monitor for everything else (Ardour transport bar,
> QJackCtl, Hydrogen, Muse, QMidiArp, Seq24, hdspmixer, Emacs, etc,
> etc.). If I need more space, of course there are other virtual desktops
> I can flip to.
>
> --
> + With the rise of social networking
> -- Studio -- + sites, computers are making people
> -- Amadeus -- + easier to use every day.

È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi
http://www.jidesk.net