Re: [LAU] More old music: Funny ways

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 04 2017 - 23:30:15 EEST

On Tue, 2 May 2017 20:41:46 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <julien@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> these two songs are from the second album, back in the winter of
> 2002/2003. The album was called Funny Ways and has - as befits the
> season - a much darker spirit, also a few more song-like songs.
> Partly less experimental and partly played straighter and surer:
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/archives/funny/index.html

'Underworld' has a strong hook in which silence or perhaps a pause
rather, plays a role, which is very nice. This slight pause is
underlined by the contrasting busy drums. The effect is quite achieved.

I put these pieces into progressive rock which may very well be the
genre they belong to. Especially when it comes to 'Deep Down'. We
hear in there many of the progrock trademarks. The drums in that one
comes across as being specially alive for 'machine drums'. A nice
enjoyable piece of that style. The recurring theme always happen at
the right time to be enjoyed.

Now, if you don't mind. the album title, 'Funny Ways' had to make me
think about a classic of progressive rock. Ray Shulmann gives the bass
to brother Derek to pickup the violin while keyboardist Kerry Minnear
plays the cello and does mostly the lead vocals, also shared by Derek.
Kerry also does the vibraphone solo.

From a 16mm film dated to 1974, 'Funny Ways' by U.K. band Gentle Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzDCfnBhinw

Cheers.