Re: [LAU] Motu 1248 - Full success

From: list <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 13 2017 - 15:36:45 EEST

Le Sat, 13 May 2017 08:51:31 +0200,

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> IMO we should get used to USB class compliant devices _even without
> access to the hardware mixer_.

USB Class compliant doesnt always mean that you can use the hardware.
Some devices comes with all the routing muted, and without the software
from the brand, that work only with Win/Mac. You just have a 3000 $
piece of hardware silence. Happy to find the USB is detected in the
Kernel log though.

Like this one :

https://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/atlas/atlas_home.php
They claiming «This is a UAC2 (USB Audio Class 2) interface supported
natively in Mac, iPad, Linux and Android, and in Windows via a driver. »

But you need their software to make initial routing/control. Or at
least some «alsa mixer» to control it. Does not exist as far as i know.

So, paying 100 % of the price to have 1% of the functionality....or 0%
(perfect silence...)

Focusrite with his series 2i2, 2i4 ( 1st or 2d generation) have
another way to do it : routing is default to everywhere, and you can
control what you want with switchs/buttons and knobs. Very effective,
but limited cards (compared to some Prismsound or Antelope cards) not
so expensive also.

> I don't had the money to buy a RME class compliant USB device, but
> since I've got a job now, I much likely will replace the Focusrite
> with a RME USB device.

RME as a very special way to do UAC2 - USB Audio Class 2. More an
«RME-ish USB Audio class as i want to do it». Maybe it's enough for
someone's need.

But it's only from my little experience with RME's cards. Sound Devices
have also this problem (USBPRE 2 card) never fully worked (the card
think Linux is windows without ASIO and fallback to 44100 hz only)

From my (small) understanding & knowledges there is only 3 solutions :
(with UAC2 standard respect we all know)

Brands use hardware controls on the card (like Focusrite did with 2ix
serie)

Brands start to produce code in the Kernel/Alsa to have perfect
interface/control of theirs cards.

Brand start to embedded their control softwares in the card that you can
use with a web browser - as MOTU cleverly did.

We know that since begining of age with routers/modems/switchs
why not in audio ?

Let me quote Ardour's dev page about this : «You can thank the brain
dead morons in the audio technology industry for this situation.»

All the best.