Re: [LAU] Motu 1248 - Full success

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 13 2017 - 23:11:44 EEST

On Sat, 13 May 2017 21:56:37 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Gruß,

> Regarding an EQ I've got no idea what Fons' or Robin's
> parametric EQs are missing.

Well, this we went on about some time ago. Hardware EQs have
character. Their circuitry 'bends' in one way or the other depending on
the load, perhaps even adding harmonic distortion in any which way. In
Linux world the OvertoneDSP Pulltec emulations are certainly very
different from Robin's x42 EQ (which I also use as a subtractive EQ)
and is even very different from OvertoneDSP's own AFM210 graphical EQ.

Likewise, the Harrison Mixbus32C EQ was modelled after their 32C
consoles. In those times consoles meant something for character. Some
people preferred to mix on a certain type for the characteristics they
can add to a mix, which was not always defined in logical terms. It
was a feeling, a certain warmth. Perhaps much like a fuzzbox for
guitar and another fuzzbox: each has its own way.

> Regarding a reverb software indeed is
> tricky, even if the quality should be good, it might take to much
> system resources, but instead of getting an audio interface with an
> integrated reverb, I simply would purchase a separated reverb.

System resources is a good point. Having reverb processing offloaded
to hardware could be beneficial. The same would be valid for the EQ
emulation provided by the MOTU.