[LAU] Render and animate OctaMed songs in batch processing

From: Henning Thielemann <lemming@email-addr-hidden-thielemann.de>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2017 - 10:34:50 EEST

Decades ago I arranged more than 200 songs using MED/OctaMED/OctaMED
Studio on various Amigas. In the meantime I converted them all to MMD1 and
MMD2 format. I wanted to render them to audio files (e.g. WAV) for use on
CDs or MP3 players. I could render the MMD1 files without problems using
UADE, however UADE refuses to render MMD2 (with mixer mode). XMP seems to
play some MMD2 modules, but not all of them (maybe has to do with mixer
mode). Radium seems to accept only MMD2 and not MMD1, but when playing
there is only silence (whereas demo songs make noise, so no Jack problem).
Is there a player that processes all OctaMED module formats? Or at least
all MMD2 files, because I can still fall back to UADE for MMD1? Preferably
a command-line player/renderer, because there are so many modules.

Next step: I want to create music videos from the playing modules for
upload, say, to YouTube. I am certainly not patient enough to perform all
songs in OctaMED in an Amiga emulator (FS-UAE) and record the performances
using a screen grabber (like ffmpeg -f x11grab). If playing in Radium
would work, I could check whether it is possible to control Radium and
screen grabbing from a shell script. However, I think I prefer a
command-line tool that renders a simple animation of the rolling blocks
into a video file for any song. Does something like this already exist? If
not, what would be the closest point to start programming something like
this myself? Would it be reasonable to try to hook in some of the tracker
module playing frameworks like UADE?