Re: [LAU] A defence of the straight line

From: Alessio Degani <alessio.degani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 09 2017 - 16:03:21 EEST

Hi Will,

On 09/08/2017 14:14, Will Godfrey wrote:
> Warning: I've been thinking!
>
> There seems to be a trend in recent years for everything to be represented in
> various curves. They are very pretty and (possibly) technically more correct,
> but is that what the user wants?
>
> Take a simple amplitude envelope for example, showing intensity V time. Now
> that is often shown as a logarithmic curve, but the whole idea behind such a
> curve was to give our ears a *linear* impression of intensity change, so why do
> we now give our ears one impression but our eyes something completely different?
I don't know if I've understand correctly what you mean, but I try to
reply :)

Because our ears just work like that.
But I think there are only a metter of visualization. For example,
complression curves are often reprented using dB scale. So that,
straight line correspond to a straight "feel" to our ears.
With that in mind, one could represent amplitude envelope just like
that. The problem here is that an amp envelope can be 0, that means
minus infinite dB -> the scale of the graph must be "mapped" in order to
suite clear visualization.

Cheers

a.