[LAU] Linux Synchronization of multiple audio channels e.g. for exact processing of ( timing ) differences between channels

From: <cuhl@email-addr-hidden-kl.de>
Date: Sun Aug 27 2017 - 00:15:10 EEST

Hello to users of the various Linux sound systems!

I have a rather technical question regarding the implementation of
multichannel recording and playback :
Is the relative alignment of different channels exactly constant? I mean,
can I reliably assess ultra short differences between multiple channels,
e.g. if one channel's signal is a delayed signal of another channel by
about 700 ns and I want to calculate the exact delay of the signals
relative to each other?
I'd also need to pass exactly timed signals to the outputs.

Internally for the inputs and outputs I would probably choose a platform
with I2S, but other embedded protocols would be alright too, if I can
match them to the ADCs chips outputs and DACs chips inputs.

So what I need to know is not about the delay from input to output, but
rather how well and exact the synchronization of multiple channels works.

I would be happy about hints and answers.

Regards

Christian