Re: [LAU] Debian 9 - Xrun

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2017 - 09:08:32 EEST

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:16:22 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>Hard RT in an audio context would only be useful for applying real-time
>effects or doing other real-time operations on audio streams that need
>very low latency.

The rt-patch might allow to chose a frame rate a step below the value
you could use without the patch. E.g.instead of 256 frames, you might
need just 128 frames to get rid of xruns. This could be important for
software monitoring, since 10 ms are usually too long, while 5 ms
latency are not unusual for digital effect processors, at least I never
heard somebody complaining about a Behringer V-Amp being unusable,
regarding too long latency and a V-Amp has got 5 ms latency.

I experienced better sync between audio tracks, that are recorded MIDI
tracks [1]. For some reason it affects something responsible for MIDI
jitter.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] If recording the same MIDI track two times, one time after the
other, e.g. a kick, the early reflection alike offset decreases. The
lower the audio frame value, the less MIDI jitter.