Re: [LAU] win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Sep 02 2017 - 11:49:39 EEST

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:05:30 +0200, Atte wrote:
>Previously I ran win7 in virtualbox

Hi,

I'm using Arturia software, an Oberheim SEM emulation and a
Minimoog emulation on an iPad 2, connected by ADAT and MIDI with my
Linux PC and by USB with my Linux PC to sync via iTunes, running in a
_vbox Oracle branded non-open source edition_ Windows 7 guest. In my
experiences _wine_ as well as the _vbox open source edition_ are never
ending building lots, since with each update you might have to fix
something or you just try to fix something, that is unfixable.

Unfortunately I can't help you with solving the issue, but in my
long-term experience _wine_ and _vbox open source edition_ are
sources of issues, while running the vbox non-open source edition with
a Windows 7 guest is worry-free. Since I run it from a SSD connected
by SATA 3, I got rid of performance issues, even while my Windows 7
guest is on qcow, which might perform slower than the vbox default vdi.
My PC's hardware has got less horsepower, Celeron G1840
dual-core, 2.80GHz, 8GiB RAM.

The only issue with vbox are updates by USB that will automatically
disconnect and try to automatically reconnect USB several times during
the update, because this requires to manually reconnect the USB device
by vbox's device menu. If this issue should be the reason you want to
drop vbox and migrate to wine, it might be worth to consider to migrate
to another VM.

You were warned, nevertheless, good luck if you still want to migrate
to wine.

Regards,
Ralf