Re: [LAU] trying to get pitch bend to work

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2017 - 14:19:24 EEST

The Artiprog (I think we're talking about this: https://artiphon.com/)
is one amazing controller.  Six stacked octaves [for a keyboardist] with
velocity and aftertouch for $400? Dear God, what hath thou wrought :-)
I do hope they do an eight-octave version, I would miss the extreme
octaves, but still, wow.
> Response to pitch bend is partially a function of the soundfont loaded
> into fluid. There are several (lots?) that don't respond, and many
> that do.
>
> I very very much doubt that Fluid responds to the pitch bend range
> RPN, but hey, I've been wrong before.
It does appear that Fluidsynth knows about pitch bend:

https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/154

but given that you're not hearing it happen, there may indeed be
different question-beasts involved, both soundfonts' responses and/or
fluidsynth options.  I have done a bit of editing and study of  some
soundfonts ( http://polyphone-soundfonts.com ) and did not see pitch
bend response in the GUIs, though I will be unsurprised to be told better.

It appears that Yoshimi and ZynAddSubFX, live synthesizers, both do
pitch bend:

https://sourceforge.net/p/yoshimi/feature-requests/13/

and live synth should (theoretically) be more of a slam-dunk for pitch
bending, because pitch control is not an option for the live synth, it's
an absolute base-core item...whereas soundfonts themselves contain
discrete note-chunks that would have to be morphed by the soundfont
handler to make it happen well.

--
/Jonathan E. Brickmanjeb@email-addr-hidden
<http://login.jsp/?at=02e47df3-a9af-4cd9-b951-1a06d255b48f&mailto=jeb@email-addr-hidden>   (785)233-9977/