[LAU] Motu AVB devices/Firmware update issues/better DONT update to 1.2.9

From: Peter Venus <mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2017 - 16:21:22 EEST

Dear List!

this is my first post to this list, but the issues and solutions i faced
with the MotuAVB devices plus the light push of a fellow linux-user made
me subscribe to this list to share my experiences.

I am a happy user of a Motu 24ao and Motu Ultralite AVB under
Linux(Ubuntu 16.04) in combination with jack/cadence.

almost everything went rather fine until i updated the firmware last
week on my UltraliteAVB:

the current firmware v1.2.9+479
<http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/audio/AVB/firmware/io/170621/MOTU%20AVB%201.2.9%2B479%20for%20UltraLite%20AVB%20and%20Stage-B16.update>
(Release Date 2017-06-21) removes the possibility to change the USB-mode
(44/48; 44-96; 44-192) ultimately disabling me to use more then
24channels via USB/class compliant.

With the previous firmware v1.2.8+378
<http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/audio/AVB/firmware/io/160901/MOTU%20AVB%201.2.8%2B378%20for%20UltraLite%20AVB%20and%20Stage-B16.update>
(Release Date 2016-09-01)this feature is still available, allowing for
64ch USB-i/o(44/48), 32ch USB-iO(44-96khz) or 24ch (44-192kHz).

According to Motu and tested by myself, a downgrade of the firmware is
possible without bricking the device.

The sad truth is, that the users are locked to this firmware until motu
brings back the feature to change the USB-Mode- unless one loves to
settle with 24ch i/o between computer and device.

regards,

Peter