Re: [LAU] html5 in ff through jack

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2017 - 18:44:21 EET

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 17:10:24 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> I don't have pulseaudio installed 1. because it gains me absolutely
>> nothing and 2. for historical reasons, it did cause endless trouble
>> when it was installed and upstream was ignorant and scornful.
>> Nowadays pulseaudio might cause no issues anymore, but then again,
>> why should I run something that I don't need?
>
>Because all the main desktop applications use it, volume buttons are
>routed through it, and it makes reassigning different devices easy.

I'm seemingly not using any of those "main" desktop applications. For
what purpose do I need volume buttons? I'm really interested in the
purpose of those "main" desktop applications and several volume
controls and how often it is required to reassign the audio device. For
what desktop workflow is this needed? Apart from apps for audio
productions I nearly have no app that make sound, at best I want some
apps to provide a signal using the bell (a simple PC speaker beep). If
I don't make music I'm close to 100% using the computer without sound.
Sometimes I need the bell (beep) and very seldom I watch video streams
with audio, not several at the same time, one after the other. The tube
player thingy usually has got a volume control, than I could use
hdspmixer to adjust the volume of the one and only audio device for
regular usage and right beside me is the analog mixing console and the
amp. I can reach all the gear without standing up. I guess I've already
more than enough volume controllers in the audio chain. If I
would dislike to put out my arm a few cm to adjust the amps volume
control, I still could build in a new battery into the amp's remote
control. My PC still doesn't play vinyl, I don't have a desktop with a
waste bin, even not one that doesn't make sound. The desktop apps I'm
using don't sound like the bridges of star trek spaceships.