[LAU] Ardour mono/stereo separation -- was Re: FOSS DAW recommendations

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 18 2017 - 08:42:19 EET

On 11/17/2017 11:51 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Kastrup <dak-mXXj517/zsQ@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
>> Robin Gareus
>> <robin-+VlDMftONaMdnm+yROfE0A-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg@email-addr-hidden>
>> writes:

>>> Why even bother? just use the stereo panner and pan it all the way to
>>> the left or right?
>>
>> Yeah, that gave me the correct left microphone on the left. And the
>> correct right microphone on the left. At equal gain.
>>
>> As I said: there was not enough time to fiddle this in a strictly
>> time-constrained demo.
>
> At any rate: we had already established that I am stupid: otherwise the
> mics would not have been crosswired. The problem is that you need to be
> really smart to figure out from scratch how to correct this with Ardour,
> and there wasn't enough time and attention span to be really smart here.
>
> If you need a mailing list for using an application, there is no way to
> improvise actually simple stuff under realtime constraints like in a
> talk.
>
> I mean, fine, Ardour is great for making fun at others and
> fingerpointing and feeling superior. And there is some appeal in that.
> But frankly, I'm too old to be using software for that reason.

I had no such intention.

Also please don't take it personally, like many authoring tools Ardour
has a steep learning curve. You also would not be the first sound
engineer that wrongly connects some mics..

I was just honestly curious why you wanted to separate a stereo track
instead of using the panner or port-connections.

Many users want the other way: Combine a two mono tracks to a stereo
track for shared editing or FX (and there's likewise no simple way to do
that in the editor alone, the tracks need to be a bounced).
Track-groups are the preferred way for this for edit operations.
subgroup-busses for FX.

ciao,
robin