Re: [LAU] Music for programming

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 20 2017 - 18:41:59 EET

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 17:22:08 +0100
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> The problem here is that a lot of this music is essentially quiet by
> design. Amplifying it does not work well every time.

Indeed. Hence the interesting part in such mixes. If I go by Michael
White's recent Loudness class which I've started, the concept is to
give ample space to the instruments which makes them breathe in their
own range. This leeway created around the instruments then serves as
padding when "raising the volume" later. With beat music we can see
it as instruments are chopping here and there. Now with ambient music,
or any music that combines spacey sounds (and I use some), in which
instruments blends into each other, the interesting part comes in
trying to keep some space so that these will not sound mushy or glued
together later at the loudness stage.