Re: [LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 29 2017 - 00:16:40 EET

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Jeremy Henty <onepoint@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> Will Godfrey wrote:
>
> > If I've understood that correctly you can also ensure that they are
> > also on the same socket, which apparently improves memory access.
>
> I think this is what is meant by NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory access).

​AFAIK, NUMA is dead for everything except a few research systems.

Parallel/multi-processor systems these days are all "symmetric" (all
processors have symmetrical access to all memory).

NUMA is really, really, really hard to get right. Why? Cache invalidation.
Several companies, organizations, etc. have tried. Last time I looked (and
it has been a while, but I was quite involved with this stuff in the mid
1990s), everybody failed.​