Re: [LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Jun 18 2018 - 21:57:19 EEST

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 07:50:57 -0600, robertlazarski wrote:
>I have the reissue D from Moog, and in general lots of Moog products
>and zero from Behringer so from that perspective ...
>
>I find the idea of comparing a digitally recorded analog synth to
>another digitally recorded analog synth to be a flawed way of looking
>at things.

I don't know the reissued Moogs, but I know a lot of really old
original synth, among them original Moog synth and I know virtual synth
from Moog, too. This means I own a few old synth myself and have got
friends who own old synth, too.

The old original Moog synth provide an unique sound, but also could
come with serious issues, such as tuning problems or no MIDI interface.
Virtual synth from Moog, e.g. the Animoog are very good, too, but they
are using too much computer resources, while an Arturia iMini is as
good, as an Animoog, without needing that much resources.

The costs for a reissued, as well as for an original Minimoog are much
too high. Btw. this also applies to Moog software. The Animoog does
cost much more than an Arturia iMini, let alone that after you already
bought the Animoog, you still need to purchase sounds, before you even
could edit your own sounds.

In short, Moog provides something more or less very good, "less" since
it comes with very bad pitfalls, for too much money.

Other synth, emulations of e.g. a Minimoog for the bad, but also for
the good, are different to an original Moog.

I know the Behringer Model D only since today and only from this video,
not from "real live", so I can't comment on the Behringer Model D, but
I don't like the pitfalls of original Moog and also not of original
Sequential Circuits gear, the cost-benefit ratio of original old Roland
and Oberheim synth IMO is much better.

Even if money and pitfalls shouldn't matter, floor space and weight of
original synth could be an issue, too.