Re: [LAU] c++ library for reading/writing MIDI files

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 29 2018 - 21:31:54 EEST

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:58 PM, David Kastrup <dak@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > we have found bugs in libsmf that we have not pushed upstream for
> > various reasonably defensible reasons.
>
> Without wanting to dwell on it and just out of personal curiosity (sort
> of having been on either side): what class of reasons would that be?

libsmf has been written with a clear tendency toward "if the SMF is not
perfect, we cannot load it". Ardour wants a somewhat more tolerant
behaviour, so quite a few of our changes have involved making that the case.

on top of that, we wanted to treat libsmf as a genuinely internal library
that so if we wanted to amend it in more fundamental ways, we wouldn't need
to stop and think about that for even a second. the first thing that we
ever did with it, back in 2009, was to strip the code down to suit that
purpose.

we probably could have/should have tried to push a few of our fixes in the
direction of libsmf's current maintainer. that's my fault, but also a
function of time overload.