Re: [LAU] Live performance gear ideas?

From: David <bouncingcats@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 18 2018 - 13:59:40 EEST

On 18 August 2018 at 10:00, Karen Lewellen <klewellen@shellworld.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2018, Roger wrote:
>>
>> So it's pro gear, vocal and line input for playback.
>
> No, not at all.
> It is a way to play the track only, either in cd form, or if in digital
> file form, with enough amplification
> for the track to be heard, by me and the audience, in a large cafe or
> small pub.
> The location provides the mic for me.

If the venue provides a mic with amplification and speakers, the usual
and professional approach would be to play your track through the same
amplification and speakers that the venue provides. Usually any such
professional amplification system found in a music venue would accept
("mix") several inputs, the mic being one, and your playback unit another.
The playback unit might be connected to a "line input" as Roger wrote,
or it might need to be connected to the system via a "DI" (direct injection)
box, these are simple and common also.

The above applies to and is independent of whichever playback unit you
choose to use: cd player, laptop, smartphone, etc.