Re: [LAU] 1625 [music]

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 03 2018 - 14:41:46 EET

Hi Louigi !

On 12/03/2018 06:49 AM, you wrote:
> Enjoyable work.

Thank you, I caught your comment on YT too. :)

> I am also one of those people who wonders how you managed to make VCV
> Rack work. On my machine all it does is generate XRUNs.

I urge anyone interested in VCV Rack to join the Facebook official group
page. Yes, it's Facebook, and yes, it's chaotic, but it's also packed
with information for and from users on all platforms, including Linux.
If you can use FB's Search function you can usually find what you're
looking for. Otherwise it's a pretty good read, lots of news on a daily
basis. There's also a large and growing larger library of patches
available at patchstorage.com, a very helpful resource.

So, a few questions for anyone having problems getting Rack up and running:

Are you using the precompiled Rack or did you build it yourself ?

What's the last version you tried ? It's currently at 0.6.2c coming up
quickly on a 1.0 release.

I assume you're using a low-latency and/or realtime system with JACK ?

Do you have a multicore CPU running in performance mode ?

And a few suggestions, again to anyone interested:

Start with extremely simple patches, i.e. patch together a Fundamental
VCO-1 and VCA-1 (level set to 0) by running a cable from the oscillator
sine output into the amplifier and onwards to the Core set's Audio module.

Make sure that the project sample rate matches your system audio sr
(it's listed under one of the top menu icons).

There's a minimum level requirement for OpenGL support. I figure, if you
got as far as the default display you're probably okay for the required
version.

Rack currently runs in single-core mode, so if your CPU has good support
for single-core you're better off than me. IIUC Intel CPUs outperform
AMDs in that regard. I would be happy to learn otherwise, my machine
runs an AMD FX 6300.

Good luck, let me know if I can be of more assistance. :)

Best,

dp